Re: Carmanian Runes

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 16:18:50 +1200

At 01:11 p.m. 19/05/2009, you wrote:

>The extent of carmanian paranoia
>is largely a story issue but if the viziers could detect a Darkness
>rune taint then, all else being equal, I expect they would want to do
>something about it.

Strictly speaking the Viziers can't do much about Darkness as their magics are considered black arts - it's the Magi who work the magics of light.

Secondly I'm not convinced that the Carmanians have the capacity to eradicate the spiritual darkness that resides within a large proportion of the population. They can readily detect it but are more concerned with the active practice of darkness and the lie rather than the mere disposition towards it.

Rather than simply have the Carmanians as Black and White, it would be more interesting to have them as having either Truth/Illusion, Light/Darkness or Law/Chaos. Which makes the worship of Humakt as associated with both darkness and truth to be particularly troublesome theologically speaking.

--Peter Metcalfe