Is HQ2 Difficult?

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 21:23:40 +0100

On the World of Glorantha List, Paolo Guccione wrote: ...
> HeroQuest 2: core system

> I do not think it will appeal to
> 90% of the players, who are less experienced than the average
> Gloranthaphile, and certainly the necessity to "figure all the
> details by yourself" could scare people away from it. Good grief, it
> doesn't even have a pre-made character sheet! I know that most of us
> make up our own sheets, but at least put in an example!
>
> I know that the official answer to this is "Jeff's group is made
> entirely of newbies and they are oh-so-fond of it", but this is due
> to Jeff's ability to narrate rather than to the system.
> Would you recommend it to an
> unexperienced GM: no! Would you recommend to play it with an
> unexperienced GM: too horrible to even think of it!

At various times, various people have claimed that HQ is easy for newbies, and others have claimed it is difficult for newbies. So what is it? Does anyone have any good evidence either way?

At Continuum 2008, some games were played with complete newbies. How did they fare? A few weeks ago the D&Ders in our game club joined us in playing HQ for a couple of weeks; they picked it up without difficulty.

FWIW, it seems to me that the people who claim it is difficult tend to be experienced, but armchair, players who are speculating. Whereas the people claiming it is easy tend to be reporting actual experiences with newbies. I'd say the evidence (such as it is) tends to support the assertion that it is easy for newbies.

It has been claimed several times (and I believe it to be true, although again the evidence is weak) that what experienced players find difficult is unlearning various habits of play that are either unnecessary or disruptive to the HQ2 style of pay.