RE: [Is HQ2 Difficult?]

From: Alexander Entelechy <alexanderentelechy_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 18:26:28 +0000 (GMT)

Really well put Luke. There’s a worse conversation though.

Player: So I can do anything.

GM: Yeah

Player: I blow up the moon with my hairdressing skill

GM: You can’t do that

Player: why not.

GM: It fails the credibility test

Player: What’s that?

GM: It’s me saying whether something is credible

Player: I think it’s credible or I wouldn’t have suggested it

GM: Well it isn’t

Player: Ok sure. I make a million pounds using my hairdressing

GM: Come on.

Player: I’m cutting peoples hair right and getting money

GM: It’s not credible

Player: I…erm…what can I do?

Old school games had the credibility test imbedded in the rules as Luke suggests. If you have difficulty with HQ2 my simple solutions are:

  1. Ditch the credibility test all together.
  2. Rename the credibility test the Genre/mode test (is it in Genre). Have a group chat about the genre you’re modelling (Including the game world and its conventions).
  3. Redistribute the genre/credibilty test to everyone else at the table. If everyone unanimously votes down your idea then it’s gone.

If you ditch the test then you don’t need to worry about getting it wrong. You can do anything. The system will then support you in making this all dramatic and cool. (which it does very well. My favourite rpg system without a doubt).