Re: Character creation question

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 07:45:36 -0700

LC

> >I really like the umbrella method since it doesn't need massaging to
> >accommodate some of the "out-there" fields of Expertise people can
> >come up with... like, say, "Outlaw Jedi Archivist" which might need
> >two (or more!) keywords in a more prescriptive descriptive framework.
>
>The only issue I have with this is that one must police a bit what is
>keyword based and what is "this character".
>I sometimes steal the idea from another game that a keyword has to be
>something that could conceivably be expandable to someone else. i.e. -
>If someone else had "Two-Fisted Missionary" they would get the same
>abilities.

I don't think this is really necessary.

For one thing, two different characters are likely to specialize in what they improve -- or even put -- under the umbrella keyword. For another, players will make use of the keyword differently -- I might emphasize the fists while you emphasize the Quote Scripture.

And the rules have help against overuse of broad abilities, which keywords certainly are.

>One of the characters in my Unfettered Space game has "Last of the
>Mohicans"

And this also suggests that keywords can be unique -- nobody else can be the Last.

>(although he isn't actually that, he is the last of an alien
>culture) and that encompasses his racial traits, cultural heritage, and
>how some people react to him. He also wanted an ability called "Last
>Man Standing" to reflect his ability to survive trouble. We eventually
>decided it didn't belong as part of the keyword, it is unique to John,
>but we had to discuss it some.

We generally leave this up to the player, though there often is a brief discussion. There's seldom a clear-cut rules advantage to one or the other, so we're not worried about play balance.

--

David Dunham