Cave Troll Question.

From: Tim <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 10:24:52 -0000

I was reading one of the scenarios in Sartar Companion last night and found myself a little confused by the Cave Troll. I'm not going to reveal any details of the scenario, so hopefully there are no spoilers here, especially for anyone who know about Gloranthan Cave Trolls, but if you are planning on playing these scenarios and are a Gloranthan Newbie you might prefer to skip this thread...

I don't have the book to hand at the moment to quote exactly, but the write up said something along the lines of the cave troll can regenerate and can only be defeated by acid, fire or a powerful strike (Complete Victory).

Even if not directly stated, I am happy to assume this only applies to fighting the creature. If I chose to Run Away, its regeneration does not help it chase me and I manage to escape on any sort of victory, with the level of victory determining the consequences as normal - but I'm not sure what happens if I chose to fight it, don't use fire and don't achieve a complete victory.

In RQ The Cave Troll Regenerates HP
In Hero Wars or HQ1, then in an extended contest it would "regenerate" AP's in some way, so the contest wouldn't end until the regeneration was dealt with. But I'm not sure how this works in HQ2. I guess if the Troll was handled by a simple contest then on anything less than a complete victory it can re-appear as an additional foe in any subsequent contest?

Can anyone help me with how they did/would/could handle this?