Pass-Fail Cycle with Assisting Characters

From: SARAH <sarah.newton5_at_...>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 12:16:57 -0000

Hi everyone,

So - I finally played my first HeroQuest 2 game! After being a long-term HeroWars player, then a sometime HQ1 player, last year I bought the HQ2 rules, and today actually played a session!

I really enjoyed it. However, I had one question come up pretty quickly.

We were using the Pass-Fail cycle. One of the characters took part in a contest "indirectly", by performing combat healing assists on the other characters. At the end of the contest, I could easily work out the victory / defeat level for those characters who had "actively" taken part in the contest, ie by fighting and racking up resolution points; I slotted those victory / defeat levels into the pass/fail track, all good.

However, I was unsure how to calculate the pass/fail cycle for the healer. She made 4 separate combat healing assists in the contest: minor victory, minor defeat, minor victory, major victory. However, as she wasn't actually in a contest herself, she had no overall victory / defeat level.

If this was a climactic contest, I could use the overall party victory level for the healer, but in a rising action contest I'm unsure how to calculate it.

I'm thinking I have two options: plug each of the combat healing assist simple contests into the pass/fail cycle, or ignore the healer's assists for purposes of pass/fail. I'm leaning towards the former.

What do people think?

Cheers,

Sarah