Re: 1 Rule to Ring them all...

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 09:35:15 -0400

Alex Ferguson wrote:

> Me:
> > > Tim Byrd reminds me of another oddity: does the '1 rule' apply
> > > only if my adjusted _ability score_ is 1 -- or does it also
> > > apply when an ability is 'cancelled' down to 1?
> > >
> > > The former would be more logical, but the rules aren't explicit,
> > > or indeed, clear.
>
> Jeff K.:
> > I believe I am using the former, if I am understaning what you mean.
>
> I don't doubt you do, but in case my question was unclear:
>
> Suppose Geo 1 and Geo 2 have ability scores 1W and 2W respectively
> (appropriately enough), and are engaged in a Generic Contest. These
> scores get cancelled to 1 and 2. Geo 1 rolls a 1: has he crit'd, or
> succeeded?
>
> Cheers,
> Alex.

Ah, yes. He just succeeded. But I'm pretty hard-nosed about things like that. I view getting you 1w is the price you pay for a) a smooth system and b) getting a new Mastery. All six of my playtesters have commented on it and all six of them have said they don't really mind as it gives them an incentive to increase the skills.

Jeff