Ganging up on opponents

From: SARAH <sarah.newton5_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 14:39:05 -0000

Hi everyone,

We've just played our fourth session of HQ2 today, still having a great time :-). However, I think I've been doing something wrong, and wanted to see what you guys thought.

Basically, reading the RAW (p43), it looks like the Multiple Opponent Penalty applies only to PCs facing multiple opponents, and not to opponents facing multiple PCs. Would that be right?

So far I've been using the Multiple Opponent Penalty rules for PCs ganging up on opponents - it's felt like a good way to give the feel of overwhelming numbers in mechanical terms.

However, it plays havoc with resistances set by the pass / fail cycle, and makes opponents very easy. In today's session, 6 PCs were facing off against a powerful Lune. Using the pass / fail cycle, the base difficulty was 15. Even with a Very High resistance on the pass / fail table, that's only 4W for the Lune; using the Multiple Opponent Penalty rules, PC #6 is going to be facing a resistance of 6 against an allegedly formidable foe. So, I'm concluding the Multiple Opponent Penalties are for PCs facing multiple opponents only.

If that's the case, does anyone have any advice for figuring the effect of multiple PCs acting against a single opponent, for those contests where 'ganging up' is a plausible tactic?

Cheers!

Sarah