Re: Donadar's Illusions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 20:53:36 +1200

Wulf Corbett:

>The Illusion affinity consists of the Feats: Create Sound, Create
>Form, Create Movement. Now, I know of course that this writeup isn't
>official, but I'm trying to work out how to use these Feats to create
>an Illusory creature. Do I need all three for a mobile, audible,
>visible illusion? Must they be cast separately, or can they be
>combined, and if so, how? Does Form cover touch as well as vision? Or
>is Form touch and Movement vision?

According to the RQ3 roolz and the GoG writeup, Donandar only taught the illusions of sight, motion and sound. For an illusion to be capable of movement (ie not just a pretty picture), it must have motion. Form is just vision and for an illusion to be capable of being touched and hurting other people, it must have substance which Donandar does not teach.

Thus far RQ3. Remember in Glorantha, an illusion is temporary reality and can't be "disbelieved".

>Now, if anyone can suggest a better set of feats for an Illusion
>Affinity (and how to use them), fine. I think these work, but need a
>bit of working out as above.

IMO I would change the names to make them evocative of a stage rather than the dry God Learner names of RQ3. Thus:

	Spectral Voice, Phantasmal Sounds, Unseen Stage Lights,
	Illusionary Disguise, Strings of the Puppeteer.

Voice covers intelligible noice while sounds is for music and other sound effects. Lights is to provide light while disguise is intended to make something look as it is not. Strings of the Puppeteer is intended to move the illusions around although it can also be used on another person.

One could use sight illusions to enhance one's looks or blacken another's own looks. Use edges and augments. Similar methods for the sounds (and it could be used to enhance oratory for example).

When creating a free-standing noise or a picture, use the affinity rating of the caster as a difficulty that others have to overcome to detect its falsity. If you are looking at a lead bolg that a Donandar cultist has turned into gold, you could use any appropriate visual skill to detect the illusion. Of course other methods are unaffected by the visual illusion and one can always deduce its illusory nature.

When using an illusion to cloak another, the affinity should have be equal to the size of the object or its most distinguishing feature in that sense (i.e if a creature being disguised as a horse has a loathsome appearance larger than its size use that instead). However the remainder acts as a resistance for the observer to detect the illusion.

A substance illusion could act as an edge or augment to a normal weapon. By itself, it can be used as a rank zero weapon with the affinity's skill. Donandar Bards could improvise this but I doubt it's something they normally bother with.

One could, I suppose, use a form illusion to make an object or another person move in ways to which they were unequipped. Like using strings of the puppeteer to confer flight. In this case, subtract the objects size from the affinity score to get his illusory flight score.

--Peter Metcalfe