Wanasgard, a Grazer example

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 14:09:41 -0800

OK, by popular (well, more than one request) demand, here's a sample character. Abilities are in [brackets], keywords in [[double brackets]].

Wanasgard, a [wily] [[Warrior]] of the [Flame Juggler clan], married
[Maryu] of [clan Sweetgrass], impressing her with his [well-trained]
hunting dogs [Stone] and [Straw], and [charming] smile. She excels at {star lore} and {sewing}. Wanasgard's sword [Dragon Point] (won
[gambling]) can heal him. He can [leap into the saddle], is an
accomplished [wrestler], and [plays the flute]. His [fondness for drink] is matched by his [capacity]. He learned [Esrolian] on campaign, gaining [rich plunder]. His [sense of direction] and [time] is unerring, and he's a fine [judge of character]. He can [start fires with a glance]. He dreams of gaining wings for his warhorse
[Victory].

A few comments about his abilities: I have a house rule that gives members of the Warrior age group the abilities of the previous Rider age group at a value of 12. Also, I've added three of the Rider abilities to the Warrior keyword: Listen, Scan for Danger, and Sleep in the Saddle. You'd have fewer abilities if you don't use this house rule.

Also note that I consider "Grazer" implied. And as a Narrator I usually give players the clan for free, which gives give him 5 extra words (he's 105). I'd probably drop wrestling (which is just Close Combat) if I had to. Or chose a one-word clan name...

As for his followers, I figure they get the two best skills of the animal keyword without any particular description. Note that by the rules (HW.33), his dogs aren't as good as an average dog (AR.44). I can't remember if there is a clarification for this.

The "on campaign" might earn him a relationship or ability, but I'm considering it as part of his relationship to war captain.

Physical
Appear Terrifying in Battle 17
Close Combat 5w

	Lance Fighting
	Sword and Shield Fighting
	Wrestling

Control Warhorse 17
Craft Arrows 12
Drink Great Amounts 13
Drive Prey 12
Herd Horses 13
Jump 13
Play Flute 13
Ranged Combat 1w

        Archery
Ride Horses 13
Trick Riding 12

Mental
Dog Training 13
Dragon Pass Geography 13
Find Good Pasture 12
Gambling 13
Grazer Customs 13
Grazer Myths 13
Identify Grazer Clan Markings 13
Intimidate Vendref 13
Judge of Character 13
Know Prey Animals 12
Listen 17
Scan for Danger 17
Scouting 17
Sense of Direction 13
Sense of Time 13
Sleep in the Saddle 17
Speak Esrolian 13
Spirit Combat 17
Track 12
Wily 13

Personality
Brave 17
Charming Smile 13
Hate Praxians 13
Hate Trolls 13
Haughty towards Non-Grazers 13
High-spirited 17
Proud 17

Relationships
Flame Juggler clan 13

Maryu (wife) 13 (ally; Star Lore 5w, Sewing 20)
Stone (hunting dog) 13 (follower; Run Fast 15; Bark at Stranger 11)
Straw (hunting dog) 13 (follower; Run Fast 15, Bark at Stranger 11;
adds 10 AP to Straw's Corner Prey)
Sweetgrass clan (wife's clan) 13
Victory (warhorse) 13 (follower;
Warrior age group 13