Re: resistance to magic

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 22:26:01 +0100

At 21:38 2000-11-05, Wulf Corbett wrote:
>Unfortunately, despite Jeff's clarification, this still confuses me.
>What would be the resistance of the following:
>
>1) A healer attempts to remove 6 Wounds inflicted by Grievous Wounds,
>or trading 7 AP for a Wound (ie actual wounds). Does it matter if the
>healer does this as an Unconnected Action during a contest, or later,
>outside a contest? Is the resistance 6 or 14?
>
>2) The same healer assists a hero by using the AP mechanic to lend 10
>AP. Is the resistance 10 or 14?

Confusion arises from unclear terminology.

There is no such thing as a "wound" in HW game mechanics.

If the winner of an exchange trades 7 AP for a Hurt, or if the same Hurt is inflicted by any other means, that may not be removed by AP lending.

A hero ending a contest with negative AP may end up Hurt (or worse). Somebody else can Lend him AP prior to the end of the contest, effectively healing him. The resistance for AP lending is always the same as the amount of AP to be transferred.

Removing a Hurt is normally done with a Healing affinity and is accomplished with an Ability Test, modified by -1 for each Hurt to be healed. Healing an Injured or Dying hero is a Simple Contest versus a resistance of 20 or 10W, respectively. (HW:RiG p.43) The default resistance of 14 does not seem to have anything to do with it.

So:
1) It is an Ability Test at -6.

2) The resistance is 10.

---