Re: Conversions

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 05:16:43 -0500

Former Nephilim Digesters Ian Young, Steven Kaye and myself have been discussing what would be entailed in converting the NEPHILIM setting to the HERO WARS rules. At the very least we have generated a few interesting Past Life narratives, the following being an example of one proposed:
     "In Alexander's day I was Phaetus, a Cretan military commander
     attached to the garrison at Tarsus. I knew the Mithraic signs,
     thus gaining access to their secret libraries to further my
     sorcerous and astronomical studies. Naive I was, allying with
     Craterus after Alexander's death though it ultimately meant my
     death in Lydia at Eumenes' hand." (55 words)

Abilities gained would include Life Experience (Alexander's Empire), Knowledge (Mithraic Signs), Familiarity (Secret Mithraic Libraries at Tarsus), Naive, Ally (Craterus), plus a keyword (Military Commander) and increases to Sorcery and Astronomy. We need a method to determine how ability scores accumulate over past lives, but that is a comparatively easy fix.

I lean toward 100 words for the base Nephilim, plus 50 additional words per past life. Words exceeding the alloted 50 can come off those for the base Nephilim description, so the player-nephilim in this example would have 95 words remaining. I would rather the characters have a greater array of abilities, if it means having better fleshed-out past life descriptions. I would prefer to see past lives given full, interesting detail that can be mined for scenario and character ideas.

Michael Schwartz mschwartz_at_... Ann Arbor, MI USA