Re: Spending your Wealth...

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 13:31:28 -0000

> I'm nicer - I've given directed bonuses to relationships etc., when
> such gifts are made. I would be probably start requiring cementing
> if this process was abused.

Isn't this just standard augmentation? "Make a "relationship to Clan" to persuade them to support your claim" "OK, I'll offer a Cow to every family that backs me..."

There is no direct mechanism for turning points of wealth into permanent increases in wealth - another thought - Maybe a permanent sacrifice of wealth could result in a temporary (1 session/episode/season/adventure's worth) bonus in a relationship (which could still be augmented as normal during play - although possibly not with wealth - getting round the "only one mundane augment" rule). You might allow this bonus to be cemented with a HP at the end of the game.

eg.
Heord Orleving throws an extravagant party for the clan, treating them to his finest ale and fatted calves. His wealth is reduced by one, but his relationship(Clan) is temporarily increased by one as they recall his generosity in the coming weeks. He subsequently becomes embroiled in a boundry dispute with the neigbouring Poss clan, and asks his clan for support. He can augment his "relationship to clan" with any one mundane skill (eg Stirring Oratory, Tribal Custom, etc etc). As time passes, the memory of his party will fade, and the bonus will vanish, unless Heord either throws another party, or spends a Heropoint to cement the bonus.

This is how chieftans can bankrupt themselves when things are going badly. Their popularity starts to slip, so the easy way out is to give gifts - Cows to all the Carls, New weapons for the Thanes, Jewellry for the women and so on. This will lift morale, and the leaders popularity in the short term, but unless he can provide a more concrete bonus ("military" victory, bumper crops, sign of divine pleasure) it will soon start to slip again as the cracks begin to show....