Re: Questions from our first session

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 21:44:29 +0000

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:30:52 -0800 (PST), bryan neff <nagilfar_at_...> wrote:

>> No, you have only the Affinities, which cannot be
>> used as they are,
>> you must Improvise from them. In my opinion,
>> Improvising a listed feat
>> is at the standard penalty.

>So as an Initiate of Humakt I would have Death, Combat
>and Honor affinities. After each affinitiy my
>character sheet would be blank and then during the
>game I would have to improvise specific feat/effect
>THAT IS LISTED UNDER THE CULT DESCRIPTION?
The rules state (p180), "Initiates gain access to the affinities, but not the feats, of their specific god." This is then immediately contradicted by the statement "Feats may be Improvised from the affinities." So, the rules state, you cannot get feats. But you can. Clear as mud.

> I thought I
>had at least the standard feats and just had to cast
>them with a penelty.

Improvisation IS just a penalty

The specific answer to you question is, Initiates MUST IMPROVISE every use of magic from the TN of the Affinity that covers the effect they are attempting to create. Whether it is a listed Feat, or a brand new one.

>So,as an initiate I can NOT improvise a new feat of my
>own creation from an infinity? Say 'throw melee
>weapon' nder Humakt's Combat affinity?

Yes, you certainly can. Your narrator will decide if it's close enough to the listed Feats to be a simple Improvisation, with the standard penalty, or less fitting to the others listed, and thus deserving a greater penalty. Others, however, allow only the listed Feats.

>> >If during the game I thought of a new feat, could I
>> >use it with a greater penelty? If so, what?
>>
>> The rules say the standard penalty applies unless
>> the Narrator says
>> otherwise. So it's -3 or greater, at the Narrator's
>> discretion. Using
>> the above rule, of course, you don't get to choose a
>> feat...
>>

>What do you mean no choice?

Ignore that comment, if, like Jeff, you don't like the idea I presented of Initiates just using Affinities, not feats at all. If you allow Initiates access to Feats, you can use the listed ones (at an Improvisation Penalty) or allow them to make up new ones, subject to a penalty decided by the Narrator.

Wulf