Re: Re: Disciples/runelords

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 00:49:26 +1300

At 11:01 8/01/01 +0000, you wrote:

> > For example, I can't imagine disciples for Bevara, Odayla,
> > Hedkorath or Vanganth.
>
>Not Bevara, but OK for Chalana Arroy? How do you see Bevara as being
>excluded?

Does Bevara look like a major deity? I just don't think that small cults can have disciples.

> > I doubt Issaries has disciples as I
> > have trouble with the image of Gringle Goodsell as a hero.

>I think he may be a hero-former of an Issaries Sub Cult, which would
>also account for his periodic absences from Apple Lane...

You mean Issaries the Werewolf?

> > Whether Orlanth and Ernalda can have disciples is probably
> > complicated by their Great God status (after all, what's the
> > difference if any between a disciple of Orlanth and an initiate to
> > Orlanth the Great God?).

>Hard to say until we know more about what a disciple is.... (do you
>mean a devotee to Orlanth the Great God here?)

Doesn't really matter whether it's a devotee or an initiate. I just used initiate as a catchall for one who worships the great god rather than an aspect.

>If a Disciple is
>one "trying to become" the god by acting like them, and a Devotee to
>a Great God becomes subsumed by them on learning the secret, the end
>result is as close to the same as makes no odds, but presumably being
>a disciple is more than just learning the Cult secret....

But what would be the magical advantages of being a disciple of Humakt then if disciplehood merely confers the ability to learn the magic of all the god's aspects? The only thing I can think of might be the ability to join subcults and learn their secrets without limit (as opposed to the single secret rule on page 166 of HW:RiG). But that falls apart if a devotee of Orlanth Adventurous, say, can learn the secret of a subcult (on the grounds that it's a lower magnitude than the god's secrets) in addition to the secret of Orlanth Adventurous.

>Does this mean you don't think it is possible to be a disciple of an
>Aspect of a (Great) god (eg Orlanth Adventurous, Orlanth Lawspeaker
>etc)

I only said the possibility was complicated by the existence of initiates to great gods and that I couldn't see what a disciple would do in terms of magical power that a great god initiate couldn't.

>- This would leave them in a strange position where you could
>have

>Hero-cult - Hero Former

A hero former is merely an initiate of a hero cult who knows the secret of heroforming the hero. Some subcults teach heroforming [Vogarth the Big/Strong Man] as their cult secret, others [Vanganth] do not.

>God's Cult - Disciple

Most cults do not have disciples and so I don't think every god's cult can.

> > Greg once wrote that there was about 2% of the general population
>
>[were Runelords]

And Runepriests.

--Peter Metcalfe