Re: Augment questions

From: Alexandre Lanciani <takenegi_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:45:31 +0100

Il giorno 17-01-2001 9:45, Graham Robinson, gjr_at_... ha scritto:
>> Also, why aren't "built-in" augments like Strong 2W2 instant? I can
>> see how the level of the augmentation might vary ("Argh, relying too
>> much on my strength and telegraphing my swings."), but it's not like
>> you have to stop, concentrate and think about being strong or,
>> especially, having Lightning Reflexes 10W.
>>

> As far as I recall, there is nothing in the rules to say whether augments
> are instant or take an action - that's your call as GM. My rule of thumb
> is to allow instant augments, but only to allow them to apply for one
> action.
>
> Cheers,
> Graham

    "Enhancement requires an unrelated action in an extended contest" HWRiG p. 133.

    Anyway, I agree with Graham, it should be more a matter of taste than a matter of rules. Of course it is more natural for abilities such as Strong or Lighting Reflexes to augment instantly. Still... Even if you take an unrelated action it's not as if you lose your chance of "doing damage" or "attacking" for this round. I like to devote a scene to "powering up".

    If you want to use your Strong you have to spent a few moments flexing your muscles (that is, showing them to the audience). If you want to use your Martial Arts you have to perform a kata (at least the firsts moves). If you want to use your Super Sayian powers you have to put a bunch of banana over your head (and maybe it's sad to admit it, but HW would make a perfect Dragonball Z RPG)... ;-)

    Why doesn't the enemy attack in the meantime? Genre conventions, I'd say. It's the same with Hero Wars' unrelated action. Even if it's not your turn, it's usually safe to describe your defending action (defending as opposed to acting) as an attack.

    That's what happens in my game and I think that my players like it. At least they don't complain. Hope it helps.

--
Regards,
Alexandre.