Re: Stormapples and Windberries

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 11:03:46 -0000

Roland

> Anybody have any thoughts on representing Stormapples (or, better
> yet, Stormapple Wine (from Sun County) and Windberries (from
>Griffin Mountain)?

Back in the early days of the list I asked a similar question about magic crystals (that RQII staple). I really liked the answer I got from David Dunham: They are a named item, whose powers you figure out as you go along. So you would get: Stormapples XX, or Windberrries XX on your character sheet. Of course the narrator and the player might have a vague idea of what they do that inform the choice of when you use them, but the powers sort of get figured out at need.

Simulationists probably hate this approach and want more detailed 'rules'. I'm not sure what your play style would be.

Our group has allowed heroes to spend a hero point to convert an item encountered during an episode into a 'named' item. Often the item is not planned it just pops up in play and no one knows what they might be used for in future. For example, in the game I ran last week, Charles Corrigan's character picked up a fine Esrolian broach at a market - now the point in the episode was really the haggling for the item, not the item itself (Mcguffin) - but Charles wanted to list it, so he sepnt a hero point to cement it. Maybe it is just a fine broach, maybe not - only somebody's session at some point in the future will tell. Similarly Bruce's character decided to use a hero point to list a corn dolly he won in a wrestling contest.

Think of it as that scene in the movie where an item is introduced (Ripley and that exoskeleton in Aliens). Somebody is going to use it before the movie is out, and probably not for its 'intended' purpose.

Ian