Re: Re: About Anaxials Roster, and the otherworlds

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:57:46 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Graham Robinson wrote:

> > > deal
> > >
> > > Use Common Sense. That's what everyone else is doing.
> > >
> > > Jeff
> >
> > ?? Ok, I assume that wasn't meant to be as insulting as it sounds.
> >
> > Still, it's not a terribly useful advice.
> >

> Perhaps you would get more helpful advice if this was your first dig at
> Anaxial's Roster? I don't know if you mean it to, but it is starting to
> come over as some sort of personal crusade.

What??

I really like the book. I definitely have no crusade against it. Are we getting to the point where not only critique, but asking questions is forbidden?

I'm trying to get a good grip on how to use some of the creatures (and otherworlds) in my game, and I'm running into problems I tought the authors may have an aswer to.

Dear god. I say that some of the powerlevels of the creatures seem to have changed a lot since RQ, and all of a sudden I'm on a crusade against the book??

> Anyway, to try to answer the question seriously, I rule that humans (etc.)
> are Large/Small 6 regardless of world. Other beings can alter size
> depending on their status. In other words, if a being is significantly
> magical/tied to an other worldly realm they can indeed appear larger or
> smaller. Thus the sky warriors in your example would appear (and in game
> terms be) larger, stronger, quicker, etc. in Yelm's court than they are in
> the mundane world, and likewise smaller, etc. in, say, Orlanth's
> Hall. This would probably not be perceived to the same degree as a
> straight reading of the chart might suggest - the mortal mind is not
> designed to comprehend the other side directly, and some distortion is
> only to be expected.
>
> In the case, your Glorantha may vary quite a lot.

With the Altinae and the Luatha this seems right, since they have such huge strength attributes. But the Warrior Angels didn't have any large or strong attributes listed. Quite apt, I think. The sky warriors aren't especially strong and beefy, just extraordinarily skilled with their weapons.

But it doesn't seem right that their size would change. I would think they are of the same size, strength and shape regardless of the world they are in.

Very confusing this. Some of the listed values are immensly superhuman (for altinae, for instance), which is ofcourse quite OK. But since this writeup already includes the -20 for meeting them in the mundane world, a playercharacter meeting one would be at a -20 to all abilities, while the Altinae would be at +20 to those listed to them.

This is a 2 mastery jump. And since the values are so high already, I was wondering if this can be what the authors had in mind?

        -Adept : who likes AR