Re: augments

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 11:28:35 +0100

>>Just to jump in and muddy the waters further....I think most magical
>edges are fairly specific. If you used a strengthen armour feat, it
>won't work on those who don't have armour, if you use a shield
>enhancing feat it will only apply when the shields can reasonably be
>used (ie. not against attacks from behind, above, or that are so
>massive a simple shield won't much matter.) Interestingly enough, I
>don't recall any Orlanth feats that will generically toughen armour
>or shields (although I expect some shield feats from the darker side
>of the earth tribe). Errr, the exception of maybe "flickering
>shield."
>
>In the case of Starkval, his only defensive edge is "turn blow."
>Very useful in fyrd combat, no doubt. Less useful when you are being
>peppered with arrows or lightning bolts.
>
>--Bryan

Excellent point. I think feats are specific. For example, I might rule that an agility augment might not work for close combat in a Shield Wall, whereas as bravery augment would.

In this case a ^20 edge would also change the tactics used in the battle, so translation into a +10 skill bonus might not be sensible. I quite like the idea of using defensive edges to reduce casualties if you lose.

Thom