Re: Affinities Question

From: Jarec <jarec_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:22:20 -0000

> Um, only devotees get feats and they don't suffer an improv penalty
if
> they are using the feat in an acceptable, standard manner.

>From what I remember, not having the books in front of me, initiates
can buy feats with HP. It clearly states somewhere that initiates use feats at -3.

> Close but from what I recall Greg's explanation at the con was
that:
> You're asking Humakt for help and tossing some dice. The narrator
> decides how well you get helped and how. Its an augment without a
> penalty -- but you can only do one augment with that affinity. If
> you've got multiple feats, you can do differnt ones (a great
advantage
> of devotees)
>
> I just don't think its uncontrolled, sorry.
> Calling for a feat is asking for a specific bit of help, hence the
> improv penalty.

Certainly not uncontrolled from Humakts point of view. I think he would try to perform whatever action most closely matched the initiates request that was in his power. However, the initiate not really knowing what Humakt can and can't do would not have much control over what they got.

For instance an initiate trying to jump may not realise why they always jump towards the west ('Sunset Leap'). Once they learn the feat then they would know why and could try to gain more control over their new found link to their god.

To credit the untrained initiate with control surely implies that they have a deeper understanding of their gods actions than they in fact do. A good example is sunday school children. They start just knowing about Jesus helping people in need, only later do they learn about the whole water to wine stuff and then later still they understand the implications of it. The child (if they could) might ask jesus for something nice to quench their thirst hoping for cola but get wine. The child has acted on what he knows and jesus has delivered what he can.

Sorry if than example offended anyone, wasn't meant to.

Jarec