Re: I could use some advice...

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 20:34:36 -0000

This isn't in the rules about contests, but when you get bonusses from ceremonies for each point of success you generally get +1 skill or +2 edge or +2AP. Normally the AP isn't the best investment. I'd think it would be allowable for a character to roll an augment for themselves trying to score bonus AP at the same target number as an equivalent edge. (Getting AP from someone else should follow the AP loaning rules, of course). So for example she could probably have rolled against her endurance with some sort of modifier (it isn't totally appropriate, but is semi-reasonable), or else some healing ability with no modifier, or possibly even something like "determined" ("I will myself to stand up straight and get back into the fight") or a wind affinity ("Orlanth, send me your refreshing breath to clear my ringing head and strengthen my wobbly arm").

Once again, that isn't from the rules.....it just seems like a reasonable extension of the rules that isn't too open to abuse.

> d) I have a character with metal-working skills. I understand how
to use
> extended contest for her to forge a sword and to enchant that
sword. I also
> see how she could give that sword some sort of target number in one
of her
> abilities. What I don't see is how she could go about giving the
sword a
> permanent "edge."

Per the rules, I don't think she can. She can make a sword with the "sword help" ability (or whatever), but its user still has to call upon the gods, with variable results. The magic doesn't let you make a better sword, it lets you make a sword that has a god's blessing, and you still have to ask for that blessing when you want it.

Of course, many groups seem to allow simple no-roll augments at around ability/10 (round down). So you could almost treat it as a permanent edge, but you would still need the action to get the augment.

I get the feeling that this is a view of magic items that not everyone is happy with, but that is the way they seem to be in the rules.

--Bryan