Re: Logarithmic Add Ons

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:38:54 -0000

David Cake writes:

> Nick's analysis is absolutely correct. Abilities are logarithmic.
> So when you multiply an ability, you are actually raising it
> exponentially. Which is another way of saying 'at some point, this
> will destroy all game balance'.

I noticed a deafening silence from Issaries contacts when I asked how high Moonson's Lunar Magic abilities would become at the Full Moon. The jump from (let's say) four to six masteries is awesome!

> Replacing Lunar Magic with fixed modifiers rather than multipli-
> cation is another thing absolutely high on my wish list for HW 2.
> But I wish I was more hopeful that it will happen - it was also
> something I said strongly in playtest.

I fear two arguments were being conflated and wrongly dismissed.

On the one hand, many people were (IMO correctly) saying that Lunar Magic being weaker inside the Glowline than outside it at the Full Moon is wrong in the light of all our Gloranthan experience.

On the other hand, many people were (IMO also correctly) pointing out that multiplying a logarithmic ability is the path to howling madness.

Whoever should have been listening to us dismissed both objections together, leading to the current unsatisfactory state of affairs.

Let's hope common sense prevails next time around.

Cheers, Nick