Re: Re: Leave it alone!!!

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:56:20 +0300 (EET DST)

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Nick Brooke wrote:

> That's dodging the question. How do you think 'broad abilities' would
> help resolve a situation where three players are using more-or-less
> specific abilities and the fourth is going with a general ability?

General ability like Strong or Smart, or do you mean general ability like Close Combat?

Somebody put it rather nicely recently, that abilities like Strong and Smart (things like the stats of old) are almost exclusively used as augments, and not straight abilities.

I like to have the option of the generic �ber martial artist / barbarian hero Close Combat, but I charge the 3HP for it.

For most, non combat monster, characters CC seems to get left pretty low, and they specialize a bit in some forms.

A young goldentongue-to-be has

knife throwing -12
Sword & Shield -14

He is definitely no warrior, and the player didn't even want a CC ability.

But my players are used to, and like, such finesse.

So far I haven't seen much need for other "broad abilities" aside from CC and affinities.

> More narrowly, what would your group do if something like this came
> up during a game of "Hero Wars"? Reach for the rules, wish for better
> ones, or quickly impose a Narrated modifier? (Or something else?)
>
> Cheers, Nick

Tweak the rules, I think. When something feels strange, we tweak it until it feels right.

        -Adept