Re: Euglyptus the Fat

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 12:47:58 +1200

Alexi Mcdonald

>What is known about Euglyptus the Fat beyond what is reported in King of
>Sartar? I presume he was an initiate in the Moonson cult at least; did he
>have any other religious affiliations?

I assume that although he came from a Solar family (Tatius the Bright is his cousin), he was a Dara Happan Lunar (i.e. the Dara Happans considered him one of them but everybody else considers him a Lunar).

When Tatius is around, Euglyptus watches himself, taking care to observe all Solar etiquette. When Tatius isn't around, Euglyptus relapses to his bad old ways, drinking like a fish and issuing harebrained commands. IMO he was prematurely celebrating his victory over the Orlanthi in 1613 when reports came in that rebel resistance was tougher than expected. Euglyptus while "tired and emotional"/"pissed as a newt" promptly panicked and issued orders that turned a hard-won Lunar Victory into a complete disaster.

AFAIK Euglyptus also manages to make an enemy of Fazzur in 1610 as a result of the invasion of Pavis. Fazzur had gotten into an argument with SorEel, whereupon Euglyptus (their superior) backed SorEel and sacked Fazzur. Normally Fazzur could have called upon the King of Tarsh for support but the King had just had a stroke while in an orgy and was completely addled.

So when Fazzur marches out of retirement with fresh Tarshite troops to suppress Starbrow's revolt, he meets up with fumbling Euglyptus and takes his revenge. I don't think it was the surfeit of eels that did him in but rather being thrown down a latrine that did him in.

Although he's military governor of Sartar from 1602, I don't think he's governor-general of the Provinces then. I think he manages to usurp that position in 1605 after his predecessor's death at the Building Wall Battle and the scarcity of more competent candidates (as they've all been killed or wounded at Building Wall). Since this seems like something beyond his capabilities, I can only assume Tatius was pulling strings.

--Peter Metcalfe