Re: The opposition, publishing

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 21:20:54 -0000

Agreed. OTOH I don't think anybody's argued that you do need all that depth. They've said that they'd like such information if at all possible, and they find it makes the game more enjoyable (although not necessarily for newbies, its true) but they haven't said it's essential, that I can recall.

> For relatively rare/"unimportant" cults, (e.g. Avarnia) put in
> one sentence and trust the creativity of the players and GMs for the
> rest.

You've already got your one sentence; it's in Glorantha: Introduction to the Hero Wars. :-)

> This would free up time to provide more depth on cults that
> players or the opposition are likely to be in (Yanafal, 7 Mothers,
> Etyries for example).

I suspect that the Imperial Players Handbook does just this, which means that you can buy that and then avoid the Rinliddi Book if that ever appears. Of course, one of the strengths of Hero Wars, IMO, is that you can play a range of characters that aren't normal adventuring types and still have fun, so I'd hope to see cult information along those lines in the new book. But, at 72 pages, I don't expect a *lot* of it, although you're free to argue for still less, of course.

> "The truth is, for medium powered Heortlings, the opposition are...
> OTHER HEORTLINGS."
>
> Maybe I'm coming from too much from the old White Bear / Red Moon
> days, but the title of this game is Hero Wars, not Mid-Level Cattle
> Raids. I seem to be in the minority here.

Hopefully it will be able to do both, but it takes time to get everything out, and you have to start somewhere. If you're saying that the Imperial Players Handbook should have come out before Storm Tribe or Barbarian Adventures, that's a valid opinion, although I don't happen to share it.

> IMO,
> this particular group is unusually unable to accept criticism and
> hounds away a lot of bright people who care deeply about Glorantha.

I think the group is pretty polite and open-minded compared with most, but the beauty of egroups is that you can always set up your own group for these dispossessed Glorantha-fans, and ban people who get overly defensive - or whatever else you feel is the best approach to keeping the people from being hounded away again. We aren't going to complain :-)

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic