Re: Re: New Pelorian

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 11:59:30 -0700

morganconrad <morganconrad_at_...> wrote:
> Is Peter serious is proposing that merely studying New Pelorian might
> make one Illuminated?

Not "illuminated", as such, if I understand the discussion--rather, just that it might give one an understanding and appreciation of the Lunar mindset. This might not make someone pro-Lunar, though. I expect if you're fluent in New Pelorian, you're less likely to say "Lunars are chaos bastards, kill kill kill!" but you might still say, "Lunars are bastards for the following subtle and nuanced reasons: [...] kill kill kill!"

> Shouldn't Illumination be something deep and
> mystical, something that many people spend years working towards?
> Why make it so cheap and easy?

As I understand it, the whole *point* about Nysalor is that it makes illumination "cheap and easy"--that's why old-sk00l gods are down on it. Ordinarily, illumination comes from a lifetime (or more!) of sweeping out the dojo/heroquesting/prayer/whatever--by the time you have the Power Cosmic, you also have the grounding and training to cope with it.

With Nysalor, on the other hand, you just wake up one morning and-bang-you're illuminated. Your entire moral and spiritual framework has been kicked out from under you, and you aren't prepared for that. You have to sink or swim. Maybe you just spontaneously cope, move to the Next Level, and hurray, you didn't have to spend forty years cleaning the dojo's latrines! More likely you go crazy and they have to send for the local Arkati.

Viz. the following Gregness:
http://www.glorantha.com/greg/q-and-a/humakti.html

But that said, I don't think people are saying New Pelorian "enlightens" you, just that it makes you think in a more Lunar way.

> What's the big deal about studying and pondering
> the strange and conflicting teachings of the Red Goddess, if learning
> a few words of New Pelorian accomplishes the same task?

Well, first, I 'spect it's more than a "few words". I've dabbled in a few foreign languages, and there's a key point when you stop mentally translating from (say) English into German, and instead, actually *think* in German. That takes some time. If you're thinking in Praxian, and have to mentally say "Hm... the Pelorian phrase for 'rhino-fat warpaint' is 'lardicius-rhinoticus stinkipoosa' ", you're not going to have any great Lunar insights.

Just my Random Musings...

--AMS