Re: New Pelorian

From: Bo Rosén <brosen_at_...>
Date: 10 Aug 2002 10:10:14 +0200

fre 2002-08-09 klockan 22.15 skrev Svechin_at_...:

> anything of the Goddess, even the lowliest illiterate, the poorest peasant
> and most ignorant street urchin can pick up the language and converse with
> another of the faith (admittedly accent will have an enormous effect, rather

Slight confusion on my part here regarding your use of the word 'faith'. Surely, anyone can learn the language regardless of faith?

The enlightenment (perhaps we should pick some other word here?) and understanding of the Lunar Way is something that comes eventually as you become more proficient in the language. It sneaks up on you but does not force you into worshipping any of the Lunar deities, though you certainly begin to see what they have to offer. Room for lots of good plots there, I think, as enemies of the Empire learn the language and eventually have to deal with the fact they have a point.
The vehemently anti-lunar Heortling realizes that the enemy is human (mostly) and struggles mightily with himself to remain true to his original beliefs in spite of a beginning sympathy for the liberating ideas behind the Lunar way.

> deeper knowledge, this understanding of the power and meaning of the words,
> character linkages and runic associations that can lead to illumination and
> insight.

So you *do* link the language to illumination. I thought the understanding brought by the language was different but perhaps it can be seen as Illumination Light. Perhaps it is just the best vehicle for the teckniques that bring illumination, being specifically created with that in mind?

> Beyond this, the Lunar Way teaches that these forms of magic are accessing
> the ultimate though different doors that lead to the same place and New
> Pelorian can open those doors. The language of Lunar Magic is New Pelorian,
> the key to illumination is understanding.

Very interesting Martin, thanks for this.

Cheers,

        Bo