Re: Re: Shrines and Temples

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 07:48:31 -0700

Friends,

Perhaps I can clarify or confuse the issue some more here.

At 08:27 AM 8/21/2002 -0000, you wrote:
> In any case, are there still "membership requirements?" Do
>you need >> x number of initiates to support a shrine, x more for a minor
>temple, and >> so on?

This is a RQ artifact where the rules came before the world. In general, places with more power and more stories attached or an easier entry into the Godworld tend to have more worshippers. It is not that the number of worshippers pushes these things to the fore, but that these things attract more worshippers.
NOW, it CAN go the other way with hundreds of initiates working hard to get across the barriers more easily, etc., but in general places with a lot of GodsWar action have more going because of that ancient action.

>I understand that specific sites may offer specific feats to
>the >> devotee, but simple holy places can do the same thing -- what's the
>> difference between "site sizes" these days?

Whatever you want for the story, with the above understanding in mind.

>IMO the only factor in temple building is the resources to build it.

This almost looks like people are confusing a temple with the building. It isn't so. A temple is a place, not a piece of architecture. Remember that most Orlanth temples are open spaces on a hill top.

>A rich devotee could build a temple of divine grace and beauty but if
>no one went there to worship; its power, for rituals and heroquests
>and the like, would be minimal.

Exactly. A fancy building on a weak holy place.

>Conversely a holy site could be a regular place of worship with many
>people going there all the time. It might not look good,
>architecturally speaking, but it is powerful. I think the the Hill of
>Orlanth Victorious may fall into this category.

Correct.

>Also am I right in thinking that to gain divine feats, etc requires
>crossing to the god world to earn them. If so those holy places with
>many worshippers willing you on to success will give you a better
>chance - although if they don't know you they may not care.

The larger number of supporting worshippers does help, but the "unique Feat Here" factor is due to the fact that the Feat occurred AT THAT PLACE. Thus when we go to the Place where Elmal Blinked then we can more easily access the Shut off Lights feat.

>If a specific
>shrine/holy place/temple/whatever is the source of a specific
>'special' feat... how?

The shrie etc isn't the source. The action of primeval myth is th4 source. But it happened at a place, and if the temple site is that place then there is less hassle finding it on the God Plane.

>Do the worshippers there keep the 'path' to
>that myth secret? Is the site itself linked in a way no other can be

Keeping myths secret from one's own worshippers and supporters is not useful to anyone. of course our religious secrets are kept from everyone not in our religion, but in general these things are shared. Not always, but in general.

>(likely, especially for places like birth/death places of heroes,
>etc)?

These are usually the best-known place of all.

>But if so, why are there myths that can ONLY be learned at special
>places (like, specifically, some Eurmali feats,

First, because it's Eurmal who is exceptional in every way (but one).

>and others in RQ
>writeups, which may or may not still be valid)?
In RQ many of the "things known" came from the rules and were interpolated into Glorantha. This kinds of things must always be viewed with caution in HQ. Often the effect is the same, but conclusions must be drawn the other way: from Gloranthan into the rules.

>where the place IS significant? If not, and it's just a matter of
>keeping secrets, it must be a damn well-kept secret, or EVERYONE
>would be learning the best feats in their own temples, instead of
>trailing around the world after them.

Most people DO learn the best feats at their own temples, and they are generally known to everyone and used by everyone. That is why they are the "best."

>Couldn't you just retell the
>myth and so let everyone into the secret? OK, I can see religeous
>reasons for keeping these secrets, keeping the places sacred &
>significant, but it does seem odd.

The secrets of a clan story, for instance, are kept secret from other clans because the members can get there and no one else can. They a re done by petty entities whose stories are not universal or widely known. Yes, you can share the myth with others in your religion and get them there. It is done all the time.

>And I thought that all Heortling Orlanthi travel to the God Plane
>started with a flight to Kero Fin - therefore, everyone starts from
>the same place...

Not at all. The trip to Kero Fin is a transition. From there people enter into the God Plane. From from there initiates enter into their own god's home on the God Plane, and then by exiting from there they enter into the HeroQuest/myth in the Storm Age.
It's not always simple or direct. Your Humakti may go to the Hall of the Sword and then go to Orlanth's Hall to join a group on the quest, or he may go to the Granite Orchard to await the arrival of companions, etc.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>