Re: Talk to soul

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 08:04:37 -0700

At 10:07 AM 9/9/2002 -0000, you wrote:
>Given these, I would not limit TKT to the souls of women or Issaries
>to the souls of men.

Agreed. She is the goddessof the dead. Her "followers" are accessible through her wherever they are, except in Humakt's house.

>> Issaries' realm is the Storm Realm
>> while Humakt would have a great
>> dislike of people leaving his realm.
>
>In our game, we have come to the conclusion that Humakt only cares
>about the act of separation and that, after separation, the living
>and the dead remain separated. Humakt has no interest in exactly
>where the dead are or go, as long as they do not mix with the
>living.

Agreed. Except for his own initiates and devotees, who do go to his house and stay there. They are beyond contact.

>On the other hand, Issaries, as psychopomp, does have an
>interest in ensuring that the dead go to their correct place.

He takes them where they ve ot go. If it's the wrong place, well, that's not his business.

>> > The Storm Tribe also includes
>> > Kolat and Serdrodosa, and they
>> > have demesnes accessible from
>> > the Storm Tribe god plane,
>>
>> The demesnes are not directly
>> accessible from the Storm Realm.
>
>It will be interesting to see how this question resolves. Kolat,
>while a spirit rather than a daimone, is still Orlanth's brother.

No direct link exists between any demense of the Spiri World and any realm of the God World. No link exists anywhere that goes directly form any Otherworld to any othe Otheworld. It is Cosmic Law. Exceptiosn to this rule will be discovered in the Hero Wars. If your characters want to vilate Cosmic Law it is OK with me. Their chiefs, godi and deities may have another opinion, of course.

>The question turns upon where the dead are.

>Since her Silent Cavern is not a long-term residence for Heortlings.
>I don't think that Heortlings in general are summonable from the Silent
>Cavern.

I agree here too. Her realmis a kind of "deep underworld" where some dead go. Not most. Most live in the joing realm shared by Orlanth and Ernalda.

>>Humakt has no interest in exactly
>>where the dead are or go, as long as they do not mix with the
>>living.
>
>However Storm Tribe p89 says differently. There the dead Humakti
>are waiting in Humakt's Hall. Given what happens to the ghosts
>forcibly sent there:
>
> Ghosts slain by Humakt end up in his personal realm, and
> cannot be resurrected or contacted by normal means.
> Storm Tribe p197
>
>I don't think anything can be summoned from Humakt's Hall.

Agreed here 100% as well. Nothing returns form Humakt.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>