Re: Heroes Behaving Badly

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 13:28:39 +1300

andyhoward39 writes:

> Whilst walking back to his hut the following night, he was attacked
> by half a dozen warriors and beaten so badly that it was feared he
> would die from his injuries. All well and good � I'd planned it like
> this. What I hadn't considered was that two of the heroes would be
> involved.

> The munchkin weaponthane who led the accusations in the council was
> there, as was the Black Ram initiate (whose player apparently wants
> him to renounce his cruel past). Both cheerfully went along with the
> attack (bearing in mind this is a fellow hero who has quested and
> bled alongside them) and neither seems bothered about having done so.

You worry a bit too much IMO. No Orlanthi is perfect and it would be dull if player heroes were all ideal Orlanthi all of the time (even the Humakti of the Wooden Sword fled from battle at one point). The Orlanthi make a big deal about the sacred nature of kinship, marriage bonds, and leadership etc because those are the ideals that break the most.

Being a hero does not mean fidelity to the norms of your society. Look at Argrath and see what he does. He introduces innovations (making the Heortlings obey written orders!) and his treatment of close allies (Kallyr) leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm more curious as to why the heroes actually helped in beating up their friend. Did they think he did wrong? Were they trying to ingratiate themselves with the enemy? Was the victim a prick that needed to be taken down a peg or two? Was his actions disruptive to the clan? Simply saying that they took the easy bad path doesn't tell us a lot.

 --Peter Metcalfe