Re: Question on Devotees (was Question on Affinities in hw-rules)

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 08:50:41 -0800

At 12:05 PM 1/8/2003 -0000, you wrote:
>--- In hw-rules_at_yahoogroups.com, Greg Stafford wrote:
>
>> I think that devotees are extraordinary. The fact that most players
seem to prefer it is because they are playing extraordinary characters. And because the players are moved from the day-to-day, and also, because players tend to minimax. Most people have lives and other things to do. Say, having a social life? Getting married and having a happy family life? Having a hobby or other form of entertainment?

>Are there any rough guides

I currently shy away from publishing numbers of thngs, because it seems to really confoudn a lot of people into thinking they are fats instead of guidelines. Nonetheless, I will offer some of my thoughts.

>to the distribution of communal
>worshippers, initiates and devotees in various Gloranthan theistic

I imagine that most Heortling peoples are initiates. Say 90%.

>societies? Guides to numbers of disciples and heroes would be
>marvellous too but I expect that that would be asking a bit much :-)

On the average? Say, 0.1% are disciples. 0.00% heroes. At least at the stat. When the Hero Wars disrupt all normalcy and ordinary people become hero fodder then of course all the numbers go out the window.

>Even within a society, I see this varying by cult. My guess is that
>among Heortlings there are proportionally more devotees among the
>speciality cults than among Ernalda and Orlanth (my memory is that
>Storm Tribe specifically noted in that even apprentice merchants
>could devote to Issaries as the religion and occupation were so
>compatible).

Yes, I agree with your assessment here.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc.