RE: Re: Griffins of Glorantha?

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:01:09 -0500

Adept says :

>But the body parts of mythical animals can still have magical
>properties. And a griffin will die eventually. It's propably OK to use
>the wishbone of a griffin, it's just not ok to hunt them for it.

Oh definitely, for that matter bits and pieces of mundane creatures have powers too, e.g., balls of tails, the hands Tusk Riders use, Thanatari heads, etc. There's lot of potential for body bit trade from all species. The problem is that other members of that species might not look too kindly on people using their bits as mementos and magical devices. I can see solars using griffin bits in a temple setting, there the griffins might be better convinced they were obtained from a griffin dying of natural causes. Griffins just might object to the whole business though, you never know. They could be cranky that way...

Using griffin bits is like wearing dragonnewt armour. If you're tough and lucky enough you can get away with it. Joe Schmoe's better off sticking to cow hide. (Of course you'd better watch out for those cunning cows.)

>Though parhaps the proper solar thing is to burn the bones and thus give
>the creature a proper sending off.

Definitely.

>Some carmanian sorserer on the other hand...

The bastards:-)

Oliver