Re: Re: Background

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:05:45 +0000 (GMT)

> >> But really, Orlanth is Dead? An epic scenario in
> which your heroes get
> >> to be someone else's NPCs? Even if I had players
> right now I wouldn't
> >> consider running that.
> >
> >I personally would never run the scenario like
> that.
> >
> >Can't you see that it's a brilliantly written piece
> that,
> >with minor effort, can be run exactly as you like

It seems to me to suffer from what I call Cradle Syndrome. There's some good stuff at the start, and mostly given as background and vignettes that can fit your own campaign background. The options for putting your own clan somewhere safe out of the way are fine, though I'd have liked to have seen more detail given.

But Iceland? You fight stuff, followed by you fight stuff, and then you fight stuff.... pages and pages of stats of things to kill. Without even working magic to liven things up a bit. Yawn. And meanwhile a major NPC goes and has all the fun, with not enough detail given for a "casual" GM to do that bit instead.

> Since I've got to come up with the central heroquest
> which enables the
> heroes to release Orlanth and save the day, since I
> don't even know
> the myth involved, I consider that quite a lot of
> work.

The myth is mentioned in passing as being an LBQ, I believe. Not easy to run even if you know it. And as a means of getting *Orlanth* back from being dead, sounds like it would need some modification.

> The buildup IS very good, but it's got to be about
> any players I might have, not Greg's.

Quite. All the players I know want to be the centre of attention, not cannon-fodder.

Mind you, even given Cradle Syndrome, I bet it could be done by a good enough GM. After all, over in Guy's Swords campaign, we're currently in the Underworld, trying to retrieve a GWD so as to re-activate the Cradle's defences :)

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com