Re: Fun OR Accuracy?

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:41:50 -0000

> How can I explain to a new player what the situation is if I don't
> understand it? Yes, I can make up my own explanation (including
keeping to
> the original situation). However, if I want to pick up
the "Glorious
> Reascent of Yelm" to use as a book in my campaign, I then have to
explain
> why he doesn't exist in the book....

The situation is that many people in Glorantha, including many members of these cults, don't know the full history of their temples and have lost many of the oldest myths. That may not be an ideal explanation, but nobody ever claimed that Glorantha was a world fully and rigorously understood by it's inhabitants, who all agree how everything works.

As for GRoY/Yelmalio, religions and cultures change. Sol Invictus was the dominant religion in Rome just before Christinanity came to power, yet didn't even exist only a few hundred years previously (it was a repackaging of the cult of Mithras). Real life is messy, confusing and full of compromises and I consider the fact that Glorantha is the same way to be a feature, not a bug.

Simon Hibbs