Selling HW to players of other systems?

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:38:39 -0500

Jane Williams writes:
> I like HW. No stress. No worries. No need to spend hours doing
> sums and analysis to be sure it all works out. Just
> role-play. How one pushes this as a selling point, I'm not
> sure, but I know that is it one, for me.

Unfortunately, rolegames have, for a very long time, been flinging about marketing that trumpets 'simple game system', 'easy to learn', 'quick to play'.

(And the sad part is, in my cases, it's just not true. You know who you are, game designers! But that's another story.)

I would have said that, these days, the old 'simple to learn, create a character in 5 minutes' saw is expected behaviour, and not something you can sell as a differentiating factor (even when it is).

Like most "rich game world" experiences (which I think is the real differentiating factor for Hero Wars/RuneQuest/Glorantha), Gloranthan roleplaying of any sort has a large barrier to entry which is best overcome by the "come over this weekend and join in our game" type of marketing. Granted, this only buys you a small fanbase, but it tends to be a solid one (viz C&S, Tekumel, Harn, and, er, well, Glorantha).

To me, the big differentiating factor in Gloranthan play is not necessarily the ease of play angle with HW/HQ.

It's the magic.

Magic is EVERYWHERE. Gods are EVERYWHERE. Spirits are EVERYWHERE. In everything. Every character knows magic, can do magic, to some degree or other, and can become incredily powerful as a result.

And the game gives you the tools to play in this system, while still being simple and fun -- no great whacking spell lists, no intricate magic system, no tactical minmaxing with magic "physics". Your character can weild powerful magic, out of the box, with the same ease to the player that lets you know you can pick up that spear and go fetch-you-some boar for dinner.

I can't think of any other fantasy rolegame that can provide this experience (no other *mainstream* one anyway).

To completely new players who want to know what Gloranthan roleplaying is like, I say this: go down to your local video store and rent "Princess Mononoke". Yes, I know it's Japanese; yes, I know it's "anime". It won't hurt you. Watch it.

Ok, now try to forget a bit about the guns.

*That's* Glorantha.

To me, Miyazake's "fantasy" epics (like Mononoke, or Nausicaa) are as close to the feel of Glorantha as anything else I've seen that's even remotely mainstream. Despite the inclusion of the guns. Sure the technology is wrong, and the settings are different. But the FEEL is absolutely dead, spot on, in my opinion.

Anyone who likes fantasy should be able to watch Mononoke, and realize that it could be REALLY COOL to be a normal guy, and yet hobnob with Gods and Spirits. (And maybe start throwing around some serious magical power onesself.)

That's how I sold it to my newbie players. Perhaps it will work for you, too?

--
Viktor