Re: Selling HW to players of other systems?

From: Newt <newtiswrong_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:25:56 -0000

> To completely new players who want to know what Gloranthan
> roleplaying is like, I say this: go down to your local video
> store and rent "Princess Mononoke". Yes, I know it's Japanese;
> yes, I know it's "anime". It won't hurt you. Watch it.
>
> Ok, now try to forget a bit about the guns.
>
> *That's* Glorantha.

Obviously this a film I'll have to check out, cheers Viktor:)

I always think of "13th Warrior" when i think of a film that best represents Glorantha. It has the elements that I find come to the fore in my Hero Wars games. It has shows different cultures, in the films case Viking/Arab, working together yet bemused and in awe by their companion's foreign ways. It has a strong plot driven by a Myth, the tale of the Bear Goddess, with an enemy that is disturbing and terrifying as any Broo/Chaos group. It has strong well defined individual characters,even those that are not named, and a convincing gritty setting that lives and breathes. It has heroism in many different forms,such as the lead character the intelligent arab scholar ambasador, the cheeky daring viking warrior who he befriends, and the blantantly heroic strong leader type of chief of the vikings. What really makes this film for me, and Herowars, is how all these elements seamlessly blend together provide a griping and engaging story.

;O)Newt