Intermediate Glorantha

From: Herbert Nowell <herb_nowell_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 12:17:19 -0400

From: HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com
From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>

>The danger of this line is that there is suddenly no topic that is off
>topic. "But I must know whether the god's are objectively differentiable -
>its relevant to *MY* game..."
>
>This list is *not* designed for discussion of issues relevant to *your*
>particular game, but to some theoretical *typical* game. *You* may have a
>need to know about priestesses of Natha, playing of mystics, the effects of
>dumping real world humans into glorantha, or what a powerful gloranthan
>microscope might see, but I'll bet that none of these occur in the vast
>majority of games.
>
>Keep this list for the beer and pretzel gamers. Please.

The danger with that is it provides no place for those who are more than beginners but less than hardcore fans of a decade plus to go. Someone, who collected most of the RQ3 Glorantha stuff but moved on when it dried up then saw HW and said "Glorantha was cool, let me check it out". They are probably beyond where HQ list goes but not ready for the GD. Based on reviews of HW and some of the complaints in them this isn't a small group.

Right now given what the threads I've seen moved (or asked to be moved) over to GD if you want to play anything outside of Orlanthi from Tarsh, Heortland, or Sartar or some kinds of Lunar this list isn't for you. While we'll discuss some other areas from a visiting standpoint at most. Other areas referenced in published Issaries material results in a "go to the GD" response (my recent question on the Eastern Isles).

The danger with the current "everything else is for the GD" is it leaves no room for growth. If the only way to go beyond currently published product (which, no offense to Issaries, but now several years in the HW/HQ line we still are in the same place, Dragon Pass and surrounding areas with light overview of the rest of Genertela, that published product has been for 30 years) is to have a PhD. in anthropology or compartive religion so you can play on the GD then Glorantha is dead in terms of new players or even geting people who really liked it in the RQ heyday but weren't hardcore.

Someone asked if there was a third list or if one was needed...maybe we do...a list for those with access to the widely distributed product (RQ2/RQ3/Issaries) but not the esoteric who want to run games in the west, east, south, Holy Country, the seas, or the Eastern Isles. Kind of a college level Glorantha list (where this list is High School and the GD is graduate school).