Nettles

From: Dr Moose <loosmoos_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:00:43 -0000

Bearing in mind the recent discussions on crops and also on parchment/papyrus/paper did you know that you can not only make soup out of nettles... you can also make a serviceable paper from the fibrous leaves?

Although your large Lankhor Mhy libraries will have access to sheep for parchment your average tribal law-speaker can simply harvest local nettles (or get his apprentice to do it!), steep them in water overnight and form them into rough sheets for his writing. This would allow parchment to remain for special uses.

Would it be common for "wild" Lanhkhor Mhy sages to encourage the growth of nettles around their huts, for nutritional, scribal and defensive purposes? I'm sure ther must be adveturing possibilities somewhere...

Me, I pity the apprentice who has to do the harvesting...