Weregild and Humakt initiation

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:10:57 -0800

donald_at_... wrote:

>> So my question was, when you find out
>> you've accidently killed the Chief's eldest son can you join Humakt
>> to protect your immediate family from any reprisals?
>
> I would suggest this is one of the grey areas of Orlanthi law. In
> other words whether the weregeld is due from the killers family
> or the cult will be decided on preceedent...

I don't see what's gray about the situation. I don't have my lawstaff handy, but here's the situation as I see it...

If Bob kills Doug, Bob's clan owes weregild to Doug's clan. Period. If Bob kills Doug, then Bob falls off a cliff or gets trampled by an earthshaker, that doesn't change the situation--Bob's clan still owes weregild to Doug's clan.

If Bob joins Humakt, it's as if he died--that is, his clan still owes the weregild from the killing Bob did back when he was "alive". Because of that, they may choose to impose some penalty on Bob, or even outlaw him (which may encourage him to join Humakt)--but that doesn't change *their* obligation to Doug's clan.

Of course, if Bob joins Humakt, *then* kills Doug, Bob no longer has a clan, so there's nobody who owes weregild. That's where things get ad-hoc, I expect. The Dougites might go to the Humakti temple and say, "We'll kill Bob in revenge unless you give us money", but that's an improvised solution, not Heortling law--I assume.