Re: Magic in Glorantha/Moral Conduct

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:52:58 -0000

> Yeah, but I think it could be seen as excessive in certain
> circumstances. Your boss might equally be wondering why you've
> gone to all the trouble of drawing up a Powerpoint presentation
> when a quick diagram on the back of a cigarette packet might have
> sufficed.

Agreed, but I think there is no contest occuring in that case. It is just a 'something no self-respecting software developer should fail at' scenario. That's my rule. If it is a contest then there is risk, if there is risk then magic is appropriate. Like the sparring fight. No real risk, no real contest, no need to worry about magic. But the point is here that like, the cigarette packet design, we are conserving effort, because we know we do not need the extra tools to achieve our goal. Its not morality, its conservation of energy.

But in game terms if you are in a contest with the merchant then there must be enough at stake for him to use his magic, otherwise why is there a contest happening.