Re: Re: Dream walking?

From: steve_at_...
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:05:31 +1200

23/03/2004 9:28:38 a.m., bethexton_at_... wrote:
> But more seriously, there is another big issue: No kids.
> Clans need kids to be the next generation. Even if a Vingan
> did desire to get married, what clan is willing to part with
> a bride price for someone who is infertile and will bring no
> kids to the clan? Not just that, she ties up a young man who
> also won't have any kids. I can imagine rather a lot of
> screaming and arguing when a young man and a Vingan
> manage to fall in love and really want to get married. (With
> a lot of the oldsters saying "look, we really don't care how
> many times you mess around behind the hay bin, and neither do
> her people. Without kids there isn't any point in a marriage
> anyway. So why should we part with these cows again?")

I'm away from Storm Tribe, but I thought only some of the more immediately vengeful vingans were infertile - There's Vinga for the badly wronged who've had their families killed and want to get back at them (and that's temporary I think) who hand over their fertility to someone else; And there's a pretty hard-core vingan who's permanently like that I think, but the default Vingan the spearwoman I don't recall as having anything wrong with her fertility - am I misremembering?

On another somewhat related subject, Jennifer pointed out to me last night that according to Thunder rebels, a woman needs to be still fertile to be an Earth priestess. That I'm probably going to ignore IMG because I want a bunch of white haired old priestesses who scare the youngsters silly from time to time, but I'm wondering why a woman has to stop being a priestess at menopause?

Stephen

--
Stephen Rennell 	steve_at_...
Wellington, New Zealand