Re: Re: How wide and deep?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:32:14 +0000 (GMT)

> As a brit I've often wrestled with issues of
> relative geographical
> size of features, not just in Glorantha, but in many
> fantasy environments.

Fantasy environments written by Americans, anyway, I'd agree. I *think* most Europeans have a better idea. Australians seem to vary, and other cultures I haven't had enough contact with to tell.

> I'd have though that the only rivers to rival the
> Rhine, Meuse,
> Danube, Mississippi (spelling?) etc would be the
> Noshain, Janube, Oslir etc.

Pull out the DP:LoT map, and look at the size of Sartar. Go to the scale, and cut yourself out a bit of paper a mile wide. Now sit it on the map. Hides a lot of Sartar, doesn't it?

Sartar, by American standards, is *small*. It isn't all that big by even Welsh standards. When we say it takes several days to travel across, we're not talking about driving for 10 hours a day, we're talking about walking in hilly terrain for maybe 7.

The map is at home and I'm not, but I think you're not comparing Sartar with Britain, or even with Wales, you're comparing it with, say, Snowdonia. Only it's even richer in legends, history, mysterious ruined hill forts and so on, which takes some doing.

Jane Williams

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html