RE: Whitewall

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 06:24:26 +0100

LC:
> I skimmed a copy of Orlanth is Dead! the other day (didn't
> pick it up, picked up the
> Dragon Pass Gazeteer, more what I need right now since I
> don't plan to play the Sartar campaign as is for now)

> Now, in 1621 Whitewall falls after a 2-year siege?
> And at that point, all Orlanthi magic doesn't work anymore?

According to OiD, yes. Quite what is meant by "all Orlanthi magic" is a complex question that OiD doesn't quite cover in enough detail to satisfy everyone. And why on earth/the Lozenge Ernaldan magic should also vanish is beyond me. (Ernalda, dependent on Orlanth? Yeah, right!)

However, Gloranthan documents written at the time (King of Sartar) seem to have overlooked this slight glitch in the main religion of the authors (they also overlooked the Fimbulwinter that apparently accompanied it, too). So it seems entirely possible to me that the next book out will say "ah, but it was only a dream" - either that, or they've got a really huge amount of justification to do for backwards compatibility. A few fans have tried, but it requires some horrendous stretches and suspension of disbelief.