RE: Whitewall

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 19:27:04 +1200

Jane wrote:

> > Peter Metcalfe :
> > Everywhere within the magical shadow of KeroFin and excluding
> > the Glowline. That's Dragon Pass, Prax and Esrolia. The
> > Orlanthi that pray using Top of the World (between Ralios and
> > Fronela) won't be affected.
>
>I hadn't realised that interesting limitation. Let me pull out OiD...
>P43: "Most people in and around Sartar, Heortland, Esrolia, and Wenelia are
>affected. (Even those foreign lands where Orlanth receives sacrifice, such
>as Prax, Ralios, Fronela and Umathela, are touched, but those lands are
>outside the scope of this book)."

>I prefer Peter's conclusion, but how did you reach it?

It depends on what is meant by touched but my conclusion was based on what Greg said in this list when he revealed the nature of the catastrophe.

         Everywhere within a radius of 250 miles of the
         proposed temple site went to dead air. This area includes Pavis,
most of
         Esrola and Heortland, and would cover Tarsh except that kingdom was
         protected by the current Glowline. In the lunar grounds priest
cheered when
         the winds failed. The affected area indicated the area defended by
the
         intended temple. Within that area the winterizing effects
described above
         occur.

>After which those people who were present at the battle get their magic
>back, but no-one else does!
>
>And still KoS doesn't notice....

The writer was a Lhankor Mhy Sage. His magic worked fine during that period as did the magic of his colleagues. So why should he notice that the magic went kaput? Do you think he talked to people outside the temple?

--Peter Metcalfe