Re: Re: God Post

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:09:45 -0700

> I disagree, especially about the chinese speaking gods. This might
> be a Runequest 'anachronism' but I always thought that gods knew
> what their worshippers told them, as well as their specific area of
> interest (eg Orlanth: Storms, messing the universe up). This was the
> basis of the Divinations that priests performed. This is not exactly
> message boy, but it does (did) indicate that worshippers do (did)
> have a role in the information theology of their cult. If I am to
> enter a 'terrible analogy' competition then I would compare the
> deity with a newspaper - you can pass on interesting stories to the
> editor but he might only publish those that are really interesting.
> Some gods might have a "classifieds" section, where you can pass on
> specific messages but you still need the intended message reciever
> to go out and buy (and read) the paper.

Check the rules for divination, Thunder Rebels 74-77, especially the top of page 76 - these are the most recent.

Yes, worshippers tell gods all about "stuff". But if the god can't usually distinguish who told him what, he certainly can't forward on a message to a specific individual (or even group)! I'd rate a god's "Cosmic indifference" at quite a few masteries.

The Piety stat ("Initiate of" and "Devotee of") is a measure of how well the god can recognize an individual. So you can tell [God] "Please tell Joe that I need him to get to Whitewall asap", but unless Joe has a few masteries in "Initiate of [God]", the message will never get through. And when it does, it won't be a clear transmission, Jane's post shows how a god communicates...

RR
- Richelieu