Re: Bashing RuneQuest

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:39:23 -0000

hey matt,

good to see your hanging in there! I believe we should honour what went before, and as David said, no RQ then very likely no HQ. RQ was cutting edge in its day - Griffin Mountain, Pavis and all that other stuff. So come on have a heart and don't knock it! Or knock it and expect that some people will be disgusted at the knock! thats all! :^D

regards
Rob

and as I am feeling whimsical,

"for it is the doom of men that they forget!" Merlin, Excalibur 1981

> For my two penn'th, I'm glad to see the back of simulationist
gaming in our
> group; I had *many* happy hours playing RQ in Glorantha from about
1987
> until the long awaited heroquest arrived (no more 'next year!'s -
still
> seems weird) but now we are telling stories with more life and
momentum in a
> setting with a more documented depth of vibrancy and variety than
other role
> players (and that just counts what has been released *after* the
demise of
> RQ. AND, AND, *AND* we have a way of using myths, both canon and
not-so -
> and going to the otherworlds and having some idea of how to write
what goes
> on! Fantastic. RQ eat your heart out!
>
> I say bash where bash is due and praise where it's due. I still
have fond
> memories of RQ in the same way as I do of my teenage years; I'd
not want to

> And because I'm feeling whimsical:
> "When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child,
> reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish
ways."
> - 1 Corinthians 13:11

David
> > is stating Empirical facts. RQ WAS Glorantha.
>
> No, RQ was a role-playing game set in the existing universe of
> Glorantha, already seen in such games as "White Bear & Red Moon".
And
> even back when it was released, it didn't *quite* model the
Glorantha of