Re: Bashing Runequest - why bother

From: rjmeints_at_...
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:51:22 -0500

All,

Why bother criticising RQ when praising HQ is far more important. I don't feel the need to tear apart what came before to justify the improvements found in something new. If we're in a winning situation with something new, why worry about whether the old situation was a failure. I find that akin to "I only want to win if all others fail" or some other zero sum game. I like the accelerated play that is possible with Heroquest, and the variety of abilities it lets you use at great levels or relative power. I can revel in that without also saying "and RQ sucked at it." The only reason I could see for bashing RQ would be if you were afraid it was an evil that would return unless it was kept in disrepute. It's not like both are still in print and competing for the same market.

Have fun,
Rick