Non-Glorantha HeroQuest?

From: Sophie Lagace <anemone_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:05:28 -0800

Hi!

Let me start by explaining that I'm new here, and although I've read the FAQ, I feel a bit tremulous dipping my big toe in the deep pool that is Glorantha - RuneQuest - Hero Wars - HeroQuest -etc. I am an experienced gamer (that means dinosaurs were still romping about when I started playing). Since I had expressed an interest in the game, my husband gave me HeroQuest for Christmas, plus half-a-dozen assorted sourcebooks from all the main incarnations of the game. Needless to say, I don't yet "grokk" Glorantha, though I've been reading a lot in the last four weeks. I joined the mailing list just today; I've been trying to picture what kind of campaign I'd like to run.

Then tonight I was hit with a blasphemous thought. You see, a couple of years ago Atlas Games published Chris Dolunt's terrific book Nyambe, which was basically African D&D. Wonderful book, full of flavour and character. Unfortunately, when we tried to play it, we hit the D&D wall; it turned into dungeon-crawling, which I find deadly dull. BUT-- Nyambe is full of gods and heroes and spirits, and I think it would work well in HeroQuest. I can see that Glorantha is already thick with background and history, so I can't even begin to figure out whether that, uh, ecological niche is filled (African Glorantha). So, here are my questions (yes, I did have some):

Thank you in advance!

--
Sophie Lagacé