Comparative mountains.

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:55:51 -0000

> Nope. I'm always confused whenever I go to Britain (or
> northern France, or for that matter east of the Rockies) - I
> keep thinking - where's the mountains? And then I see what
> the locals call a "mountain" and I keep thinking, "where's
> the mountains?"

Snowdonia is at least jagged. The Lake District is just gentle grassy lumps.

> You don't even want to know my disappointment the first time
> I saw the Thames.

It's a smallish, greyish river.

> > So those Orlanthi who can see Kero Fin aren't likely to build the
> > equivalent of Silbury Hill, stone avenues, and so on.
>
> I wouldn't think so - maybe Greg has some more definite
> opinions. I mean why would you need to? You perform your
> rituals on a hill, you can see the great cosmic mountains -
> why do you need to build your own hill?

Exactly. Though Silbury Hill seems to have been a representation of... Well, something non-hill-like. We have no evidence for the meaning, after all. But there are hills around there, and bigger than that. It's reputed to be a representation of the Mother Goddess (actually the entire earth). Kero Fin is the Mother Goddess, and easier to point out than "the earth".

> I mean, if you think
> Mt. Rainier dominates the skyline, imagine Kero Fin.

I could probably google for where and what Mt Rainer is, but for now, I'll assume that it's a big mountain, and on its own, not like Alps, which tend to be gregarious.

> > But I suspect they're more likely than us, if they build anything
> at
> > all, to do those chalk figures that only make sense from the air.
> As I
> > think it was you pointed out, they fly!
>
> Yep. Or construct their forts in spirals. Or whatever.

I still doubt that, just because it's a daft design for something you want to defend.

> I won't comment on whether Mt. Snowdonia is more of a
> mountain than Mt. Si. But maybe Dave will.

"Snowdonia" is an area of Wales, containing several mountains. Some of them are reputed to send you mad (or a bard) if you spend the night on top. I haven't tried it (so that's not to blame!) At least one has a dragon underneath (I'm told - haven't looked).

No idea what "Mt. Si." may be.

A quick google for names I know throws up a few pics.

http://www.garthyfog.co.uk/cader_idris.htm

And here's a collection of people climbing British mountians http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/cuhwc/pictures/

But back in Glorantha....

DP tells us that, for instance, Mounts Ternveka, Korgradus and Hareva rise to 6000' aboev sea level, 3000' higher than the land around them. The difference between those two figures is important. The Snowdonia mountains start at sea level: when we say Snowdon itself is 3560 feet high, we mean that when you climb it from the surrounding land, you climb 3500 feet or so. So Snowdonia probably isn't that bad a match for those mountains.

Quivin is 7000' above sea level: what does that make it, about 4000' higher than the land around? You'd have to go to Scotland to see anything that big, but we're still talking British mountain scales. Nothing like as big as the Alps.

But Kero Fin... That's seven MILES high. 36,960 feet. Everest is only 29,000 feet, and less spectacularly shaped. Kero Fin is serious "goshwowlookatthat" territory, and there's nothing on Earth that approaches it.