RE: Out of Print

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:32:54 -0000

> The main rulebook yes, background books quite possibly but
> the importance of scenario books is that there are some
> available so that GMs and players can jump straight in.
> That's why Gathering Thunder being the only Issaries scenario
> book on game shelves ...

I just re-read Men of the Sea and realised that it doesn't contain anything one could describe as a scenario. I don't look for them, myself, (they need so much work to adapt them for a particular party, I'd rather have background) but it was a bit of a surprise.

But to be fair to Gathering Thunder, it wouldn't take much to convert the first scenario (rescue the princess) for a party who *weren't* at Iceland.

The second one "getting a guardian", is almost designed for a newish party.

"Sheep, clouds, thunder" has already been criticised for being too low-level for a party that's been through the first two books, though it suffers from the problem of one paragraph that seems to keep creeping into this book: if they don't like the rewards offered, then ..."perhaps they are not true sons and daughters of the Storm"... Well, no, perhaps they're not. Perhaps that isn't what this group of PCs were ever intended to be. Perhaps a few lines on how to adapt the scenario would have been a better idea? But since finding an excuse for almost anyone to go sheep-raiding isn't hard, it does't matter too much.

"Final days at Skull Point", and "Orane's Spindle" - just use a different excuse to get the PCs involved, without having the Rebellion send them. You don't need high skills, just roleplaying ability.

I do have a nasty suspicion, though, that the amount of background knowledge assumed for the earlier books would prove to be offputting. Since I've read them, I'm not sure how much of a problem it would be, but just the references to major NPCs only described in earlier (OOP) books isn't a good start.

> the game shop ...
> have to refer customers to fan publications to get them started.

Which wouldn't be a problem, as long as the scenarios were available *somewhere*, but since the Fan Publication Policy fiasco has more or less stopped fan publication for what must be nearly a year now.... oh dear :(